Managing My Spending in Melbourne

Tuesday, September 19, 2017

I've been wanting to do a post like this for awhile now. I've been living in Melbourne for over a year. So I guess I have enough 'experience' to share with you guys. Hope this helps!

So the 1st of every month, I pay my rent. I always prioritize my rent. Then I list down my other expenses (i.e. water/electricity bills, public transport – Myki, groceries, leisure). I spend about $50-$80 a week on groceries, $40/month on Myki and whatever's left, I either save it or spend it. Definitely always the latter. I go out with friends, buy new clothes/makeup etc

GROCERIES:

1. Plan your meals for the week. 

  • I also cook my dishes in large batches. For example, if I make ayam masak merah, I don't make just one portion. I make 3 portions. Saves time and money!!
2. Go through Coles/Woolies catalogue.
  • I always look through Coles/Woolies online and see what's on special/deals for that week before actually going to the store and purchasing them. There's also an option to buy groceries online but I like choosing my own fresh produce so...
3. Shopping list.
  • Something I swear by. I never go shopping without a list. Or with an empty stomach! Guys, trust me. Grocery shopping on an empty stomach is the devil. You will spend more than you plan if you do this.
4. Always buy things in season! 
  • I LOVE fruits. I love mandarin oranges so much and they're in season right now (or about to go out of season soon because the prices have been increasing gradually). So I've been buying them a lot. Earlier this year, the white grapes I usually get was like $3.90/kg. Now it's $8/kg... I also get frozen blueberries because it's so much cheaper than the fresh ones! I used to buy a 125g punnet of blueberries for like $5 and it'll last me 3 days. The frozen ones I get comes in a 500g bag for $4!! Do you know how much money I save?!
5. Buy home brand!! 
  • I used to buy Uncle Toby's oatmeal every week, which is like $5 a box. Now I just get the Coles ones for $1.50. I have saved so much money ever since!! I rasa there's not really a difference in taste anyway. I usually buy Coles' pasta but there's only a 50c difference between that and the San Remo ones. So I'd usually alternate between the two.
  • The tissues I use are also by Coles. It's 99c! But things like toothpaste, laundry detergent etc, I get brands I'm familiar with despite the steep price tags.
6. Aldi
  • Aldi... is an European grocery store... I think. They carry brands that I'm not familiar with but they all look like copycats. I've been tricked into thinking this toothpaste I saw was from Colgate but it wasn't. It just had similar packaging. 
  • I usually get frozen food, salmon and fresh produce from Aldi because it's SO much cheaper there. Especially the salmon!!
Also, another tip is to browse through your local fresh produce market. The shitake mushrooms at my local market is $2.80 but it's almost 5 bucks at Coles! Wyd Coles?!

SHOPPING



  • This is the first thing I signed up for the second I got my offer letter to study here 😂😂. It's a website that caters to students in the US, UK and Australia. "UNiDays gives you access to the best student discount online and in-store with all the leading brands and merchants. We’re here to provide you with a variety of discounts from fashion, to technology and entertainment." – UNiDays
  • This, my friends, is the reason why I shop a lot. If you've seen me hauling my Missguided, Boohoo and PLT purchases on Snapchat, this is why. 
2. Concession/student discounts
  • Similar to the previous point, just ask the people working at the store if they have any student discounts. 
  • Don't quote me on this but if you apply for a concession card here in Melbourne, you are entitled to 50% off your travels on the Myki card. I could be very wrong though. I didn't apply for this because I don't use public transport everyday. I walk to uni so I don't really need it yet. 
Honestly, those are the only tips I have. I know it doesn't seem a lot but it really does help me. I also don't eat out that much because it's super expensive here. Even if I do, it's no more than 3 times a week. I guess it's all about prioritizing and planning.

Also, if you're allowed to work as an international student, that would also be great! I recently just got a job!! Finally!! I'm so excited to start earning money and rely less on my parents!! Just be sure to know your working rights in the country you're in. I have had friends who were paid waaaay below the minimum wage. I actually did do a trial at the place but couldn't justify the commuting time for such a low wage. So I said no to the job that day itself. 

That's all I have for now!! 'Til then!

You Might Also Like

0 comments